Dein Perry’s TAP DOGS is about to tap their way into South African hearts with their globally acclaimed Australian production. The reviews are spectacular and the South African Touring Cast has been announced!
The strictly limited season starts in Cape Town on 22nd August at the Grand Arena, GrandWest followed by Johannesburg on 29th August at Montecasino.
Retweet to enter!
— JoziStyle (@JoziStyle) August 15, 2018
This is not just tap. Experience high voltage, rugged, raw talent in the tap dance phenomenon which has taken the world by storm.
Dein Perry’s TAP DOGS returns to the stage with its trademark blend of live music and tap dance as you’ve never seen before. The New York Observer called it “Positively electrifying”.
Part theatre, part dance, part rock concert and part construction site, the show is crammed with high-energy dance, theatrical performance, and music performed by the cast and live musicians in this unstoppable spectacular. Whether in water, upside-down or jumping through scaffolding, the TAP DOGS have been performing to the beat of their own drum for over 20 years.
Winners of over 15 international awards including an Olivier Award (UK), an Obie Award (New York) and a Pegasus Award (Spoleto Festival in Italy), the global musical smash hit has appeared in over 330 cities on six continents and has been seen live by over 12 million people. A worldwide television audience of over 3.4 billion saw 1,000 Tap Dogs performing in the Opening Ceremony of the Sydney Olympics.
Kill To Get A Ticket
The Hottest Show on Legs
London Time Out
Sexy, Fast and Fabulous
San Francisco Chronicle
Spectacular! Triumphant! An Amazing Achievement!
The Los Angeles Times
TAP DOGS on tour storms back onto a stage near you soon, for a strictly limited run. This will sell out so get your ticket today.
Tap Dogs Fast Facts
• The show has toured continuously throughout the world with performances in over 330 cities, across 37 countries, on six continents, with up to four companies touring at any one time, boasting an audience of 12 million people.
• The show is considered Australia’s most successful theatrical export.
• Awards include an Oliver Award-winning six month run on London’s prestigious Shaftesbury Avenue, conquering New York and America, and winning over 15 international awards including a Pegasus Award at the Spoleto Festival in Italy and an Obie award in New York.
• A worldwide television audience of 3.4 billion people saw 1,300 Tap Dog performers appear in the Opening Ceremony of the 2000 Sydney Olympics.
• Dein Perry’s TAP DOGS is an 80-minute show performed without an intermission.
• There are 8 members of the Tap Dogs team – six male dancers and two female musicians.
• The show is part theatre, part rock concert, part construction site and it combines the strength and power of workmen with the precision and talent of tap dancing.
• Performing against all challenges – whether in water, upside-down or jumping through scaffolding – Dein Perry’s TAP DOGS bring the steelworks to life in a fast-paced, unstoppable spectacular that everybody will enjoy.
• The show is fit for the whole family with an awe-inspiring mix of dance, music, humour and performance in a full-scale stage show production.
• Dein Perry’s TAP DOGS is set on a construction site in the steelwork’s town of Newcastle, just north of Sydney.
• Dein Perry’s TAP DOGS features an original musical score performed live on- stage by female musicians, composed by Andrew Wilkie.
• Australian-born creator and choreographer, Dein Perry, has come a long way from Newcastle where, as a young boy, he learnt how to tap.
• At the age of 20, Dein earned his Tradesman Certificate as an industrial Fitter and Machinist before moving south to Sydney where he tried to break into show business.
• Dein decided to create a contemporary show around the themes of his industrial experience. Backed by a small government grant, he workshopped new contemporary ideas with tap dancing called Real Tap and formed “Tap Brothers” – a very early incarnation of TAP DOGS.
• Dein was then offered the chance to co-choreograph the West End musical “Hot Shoe Shuffle” that earned him his first Olivier Award and a subsequent offer from the Sydney Theatre Company led to a collaboration with eclectic designer and director, Nigel Triffitt, resulting in the creation of Dein Perry’s TAP DOGS!
• Dein Perry’s TAP DOGS made their world premiere in January 1995 at the Sydney Festival produced by The Sydney Theatre Company and where Back Row Productions’ founders Peter Holmes à Court and Liz Koops first witnessed the revolutionary show.
• Following sell-out seasons, Dein Perry’s TAP DOGS was catapulted to international acclaim at the Edinburgh Festival and London’s Sadler’s Wells and went on to sell out seasons in New York the West End and toured the world continuously with up to 4 company’s at any one time.
• The story of the Dein Perry’s TAP DOGS has even been immortalized by Hollywood in the movie BOOTMEN, produced and directed by Dein Perry.
• Reid Perry was 3 years old when he first started to learn tap, he had his first pair of tap boots at 6 years old and his first set of Blundstone* tap boots at 17yo
• Reid had his first stage appearance was when he was 4 years old and did his first Tap Dogs TV commercial at 6 years old
• Dein Perry on his son Reid Perry. “Since Reid was a young boy he has loved the Tap Dogs and grew up around the guys, he was always there at rehearsals and gigs. It’s almost a natural and comfortable progression for him to be a part of the Tap Dogs and embark on this world tour”
TAP DOGS IS VERY PROUD OF THEIR ASSOCIATION WITH BLUNDSTONE.
Dein Perry was asked to create a 5 minute routine for the ABC TV program – Performance Space. It was set on location in a factory resembling the Industrial environment where Dein worked as a Fitter and Turner. The clothes the dancers wore were overalls and blue-collar work gear. It became very apparent that a pair of standard tap shoes would look out of place so it was a natural progression to add tap plates to work boots. Blundstone were the boots of choice for Industrial workers and what Dein had worn as a Fitter. They happened to convert very well into fantastic tap boots.
Meet the Cast
Anthony J Russo: With over 17 years’ worth of experience in professional tap-dancing, Anthony knew in high school that he wanted to dance professionally. He produces tap dance education programs throughout North America and has been awarded Outstanding Young Missourian by The Missouri Junior Chamber of Commerce for his contributions to dance education.
Nathaniel Hancock: Nathaniel has performed in numerous productions around the world alongside some of Australia’s best commercial and tap dancers. He is a member of Street Feet Entertainment and has even appeared in the animated film Happy Feet 2 as a featured tap dancer. Nathaniel has been described as someone who’s dancing endeavours have placed him at the forefront of modern tap dance in Australia.
Richie Miller: Richie began his dance training at Performing Arts Centre in St Charles, Missouri with Anthony Russo. After graduation, he soon joined Tap Dogs and has toured with them since 2009. Richie has an extensive and impressive catalogue of productions he has performed in and appearances he has made such as Naomi Campbell’s “The Face”.
Chaise Rossiello: Chaise has been dancing since the age of 5 and performing since the age of 10. He performed all over Australia and then all over the world since joining Tap Dogs in 2007. Chaise has experience in acting and singing, having performed in numerous local (Geelong, Australia) shows. He enjoys producing shows and passing his theatre knowledge on through teaching, thus starting his own Performing Arts School in Lara Geelong.
Justin Myles: Justin is a professional dancer and dance instructor with training in tap, contemporary, and body percussion. He has toured with the off-Broadway show STOMP where he performed as the lead, following that he joined Tap Dogs. Justin writes and produces his own music and is the Co-founder and Director of tap dance company, The JaM Project in Washington DC.
Reid Perry: Reid made his Tap Dogs debut in 2016. He began dance training under Dein Perry as a young child at Tap Pups and has performed in productions across Australia in productions like “A Chorus Line.”
Sam Marks: Sam’s dance career began when he was a child when he was cast in productions like Les Misérables, The Wizard of Oz, CATS and Dirty Dancing. He is a member of the Tap Pack which performs on cruise ships. Sam has worked in commercial dance as well as the television industry with appearances in The X Factor.
Nathan Beech: Nathan’s passion for dance is what booked his first dance tour with Brother’s of the Knight at the age of 15. Dancing with various companies that have taken him on tour all over the world. Nathan toured with Tap Dogs in 2015. He was part of a group that was selected to perform on World of Dance in 2018.
Noriko Terada: Noriko is a multi-percussionist and drummer and is widely known for her music recordings in popular video games like Final Fantasy 13-3 Lightning Returns. She is trained in classical ballet and often refers to the connection between music and dance, to quote her, “as a composite art that thereby influenced her music”.
Catarina Percinio: Catarina is a Brazilian born percussionist who began her musical career at just 10 years old in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Catarina continues to tour the world performing at international festivals and teaches music in the time she does is not performing on stage.
Dein Perry’s global phenomenon first took the world by storm upon its premiere at the Sydney Festival Theatre and has been touring continuously since then. They have performed in over 300 cities worldwide for over 20 years now and finally South Africa will be able to experience what has been illustrated on a recreated constriction site with elements of dance and a rock concert atmosphere.
Coming to Cape Town and Johannesburg in August 2018 – Presented by 947, CapeTalk and Channel 24
Venue: Grand Arena, GrandWest
From 22nd August 2018
Price: R215 – R360 * Up to 50% off all off-peak performances.
From 29th August 2018
Price: R310 – R410 * Up to 50% off all off-peak performances.
Win double tickets worth R800 to see Tap Dogs at Montecasino!
Simply share this post onto Facebook or Twitter with the hashtag #TapDogsSA2018!
Entries close on Sunday, 19 August 2018 at 7PM.
The winner will be selected by an online random generator.
Winners will be announced by Monday, 20 August 2018 at 7PM.
The prize is not transferable for cash.
The winners will be announced on JoziStyle.joburg and informed by email.