Virgin Pomegranate Mojito
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time 8 minutes
1/2 c water
5 cm piece ginger
1/2 c castor sugar
1 c raspberries
1/2 c pom rubies
10 mint sprigs
2 limes, cut into wedges
about 6 ice blocks, crushed
1 1/2 c pom
1 1/2 c fizzy or soda water
- Heat the sugar, ginger and water in a small saucepan, stirring continuously until the sugar is dissolved.
- Simmer uncovered for 5-8 minutes until slightly thickens and reduced in amount. Cool.
- Divide the raspberries, mint and lime wedges among 2 glasses. Pour 2 T of the sugar syrup in each glass.
- Using a wooden spoon or muddler, crush the mixture to release the juice and oils of the fruit and mint.
- Top each glass with crushed ice, fill with a mixture of cold pom and fizzy or soda water and serve.
Sweet and Sour Relish
Marinade and relish (2 recipes in 1)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
30 ml oil
2 large onions, chopped finely
3 garlic clove, crushed
use 3 T SPICE MIX
1t coriander seeds
1/2 t mustard seeds
1/2 t fennel seeds
1/2 t fenugreek
2 cloves – all stone grounded in pestle and mortar
1 t turmeric
1 t cumin
1/2 t ground ginger
1/2 t cinnamon,
pinch black pepper
and pinch salt.
1/2 red chili, seeded and chopped
1 T fresh ginger, chopped plus an extra 1 t
2 fresh bay leaves
1 curry leaf
4 T/ ¼ cup apricot jam
1 c apple cider vinegar
1 T soy sauce to season
1 t brown sugar for taste
For the marinade
1 c milk
For the relish
410 g can peel and chopped tomatoes
3 T Heinz Smokey bbq sauce (hickory) or any BBQ sauce
250 g cherry tomatoes
- Heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add the spice mix, chili, 1 tablespoon ginger, the bay leaves and curry leaf, and then stir for a minute.
- Stir in the apricot jam and then pour in the vinegar (being careful not to breath in the heated vinegar as you might sneeze). Then add the soy sauce and brown sugar.
- Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes and add another teaspoon ginger. Stir.
Transfer half the mixture into a large deep dish or freezer bag and mix with milk to make a marinade. Shake and stir and keep aside to marinade the sostaties in.
- Add a tin chopped tomatoes and bbq sauce to the remaining mix with fresh cherry tomatoes. Simmer for another 10-15 minutes on a lower heat until the flavours are well infused together and cherry tomatoes are soft. Serve as a relish with the meat and pap.
Beautiful Beet Salad
Preparations time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
Serves up to 10
6 beetroots, thoroughly washed
2 sticks of celery (or half pack) cut in sticks on long angle one-inch-long and ¼ inch wide
2 x 140 g goats milk cheese log
100 g pistachio nuts, finely chopped
100 g watercress, stems removed
70 g micro herbs – Crimson
ClemenGold juice 2 T
Lemon juice 2 T
Wholegrain mustard 1 t
White wine vinegar 2 t
Olive oil 2 T
- Place the beet in water and cover with water. Cook for 20 minutes until cooked through. Rinse over cold water to cool down.
- Peel off the skins (with gloves on to prevent having purple pink hands) and thinly slice (preferable using a mandolin. Chill.
- Meanwhile, slice the celery, chop the pistachio nuts finely. Then cut the goat’s milk cheese log into thick slices, shape into rounds and roll them in the nuts.
- Arrange the salad on a platter then mix the dressing. Drizzle over the salad and garnish with crimson micro herbs.
Serves 8 with a little leftover
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 40 minutes
2 L water
2 T chicken stock powder
5 cups maize meal (white star)
2 T melted butter
1 T butter
375g/ 1 ½ packs of bacon
2 finely chopped onions
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 green peppers, finely chopped
4 T parsley, chopped
4 T coriander, chopped
- Mix the cold water with stock powder to make a stock and bring to the boil.
- Then Whisk in the maize meal, adding a little at a time, whisk continuously to remove any lumps.
- Now using a wooden spoon. stir, beating the pap against the pan until it comes together. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Stir again and cook for another 20 minutes until cooked.
- Add butter to sauté pan and cook the bacon, onions and garlic for 5 minutes over a high heat, until the fat is rendered over. Add the herbs and stir.
- Add the bacon and vegetable mix to the pap and stir in.
- Transfer into a baking tin and press down until even. Cut into round shapes using cookie cutters and set aside in a warm place until serving time.
The bottom of the pan must form a tortilla like shell and leave the pan clean underneath – that you can enjoy with jam or even a savoury spread! Its delicious and quite a treat.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Makes 8 kebabs, serving 1 per person
4 sirloin steaks
6 Turkish dried apricots or normal ones if you can’t find, cut in half lengthwise (milder flavour and not as sour as regular ones -in fact are a little sweet)
1 large red peppers
8 metal skewers
- First prick meat right through. Cut the steaks lengthwise and across three times so each steak yields eight pieces.
- Now cut the apricots in half lengthwise and cube the peppers and onions to the same size as the meat cubes and apricots.
- Thread four meat pieces alternating with red pepper, onion and apricot to make a Sosatie. Place in the marinade and allow it to rest in it for at least 2 hours.
- Grill on a pan heated with oil for 8-10 minutes for a medium rare, turning continuously. Rest the meat for at least 5 minutes before serving it.