There’s been an explosion of youngsters taking to the kitchen and wanting to learn how to cook evidenced by television shows such as MasterChef Junior and local cooking competitions like Taste Bud Battle.
South Africa’s leading culinary school – Capsicum Culinary Studio – has identified a gap in the market and has launched a new course Rookie Chef 2020 aimed at teens aged from 13 to 18.
Youngsters with a passion for food and cooking will learn how to prepare delicious starters, mains and desserts as well as being taught knife skills and kitchen safety.
The three-month course – comprising a three-hour hands-on course each week with the schools’ chef lecturers – costs R8 500 and includes an apron, basic chef’s knife, a kitchen towel, course notes and recipes as well as chef demos, all ingredients and prizes for the star rookie chefs. Those who graduate will be issued with a certificate of completion.
Says Candice Adams, National Academic Manager at Capsicum Culinary Studio: “There are youngsters who already know they want to make food their profession once they have finished school and this will give them a real advantage. Those who just want to increase their skills set will also find the course invaluable.
“Ultimately, though, we believe that it is important to get all children into the kitchen as it provides them with so many essential skills and learning tools for later life.”
All Capsicum campuses will be holding a registration day for all their courses on Saturday, February 22.
- Boksburg: Unit 6, Bartlett Lake Office Park, Cnr Leith and Trichards Roads, Boksburg
- Cape Town: 6th Floor, Rex Trueform Office Park, 263 Victoria Rd, Salt River.
- Durban: 300 Granada Square, 16 Chartwell Dr, Umhlanga Rocks.
- Johannesburg: 3 Keyes Ave, Rosebank.
- Port Elizabeth: 67 Newton Street, Newton Park.
- Pretoria: Menlyn Square, Ground Floor, South Building, 134 Aramist Ave, Waterkloof Glen.
- Boksburg email: firstname.lastname@example.org; tel: 011 918 2690
- Cape Town email: email@example.com; tel: 021 442 0600
- Durban email: firstname.lastname@example.org; tel: 031 561 1959
- Port Elizabeth email: email@example.com; tel: 041 365 2606
- Pretoria email: firstname.lastname@example.org; tel: 012 993 0071
- Rosebank, Johannesburg email: email@example.com; tel: 011 234 1896
Contact Capsicum at one of its six campuses to find out when they will be starting their next course or make a booking at www.capsicumcooking.com