Steak is a South African passion and the steakhouse is our favourite national restaurant. This is an annual competition to find South Africa’s best steakhouse, now in year three.
The Wolftrap Steakhouse Championships is again hunting down South Africa’s greatest steakhouse to find our national champion for 2015! The first round has been completed. This was a public voting phase to identify South Africa’s favourite steakhouses, and the 20 that gathered the most votes have now made it through to the judging round. This judges’ round is a steak show-down during which our team of expert judges, led by Pete Goffe-Wood, well-known Masterchef judge, will visit the top 20 to trim the field. The steakhouses don’t know when the judges will arrive and each will be assessed on a score-sheet that’s designed to separate the good from the great– looking at the total experience but focusing on the quality of the steak.
The 2015 Champion will be announced at a media event, on 30th June 2015, at The Local Grill in Parktown North (the 2013 and 2014 Steakhouse Champion).
· Eastern Cape: 2x in East London
· Free State: 1x in Bloemfontein
· Gauteng: 6x steakhouses with 2x in Pretoria
· KwaZulu Natal: 3x steakhouses: Durban, Pietermaritzburg and Umhlanga Rocks
· Mpumalanga: 1x steakhouse
· Southern Cape: 3x steakhouses
· Western Cape: 4x steakhouses
TOP 20 STEAKHOUSES
· Cattle Baron, Mossel Bay – Southern Cape
· Cattle Baron, Tableview – Western Cape
· Fahrenheit, Edenvale, Johannesburg (East) – Gauteng – Finalist in 2014
· Havana Grill, Durban – KwaZulu Natal
· Hillside Tavern Grill, Lynwood, Pretoria – Gauteng
· HQ, Cape Town – Western Cape – Finalist in 2014
· Jayz Grill, Pietermaritzburg – KwaZulu Natal
· Little Havana, Umhlanga Rocks – KwaZulu Natal – Finalist in 2013
· Longhorn Steakhouse, Bloemfontein – Free State
· Milhaus, Kyalami, Johannesburg (North)- Gauteng
· Pioneers Butcher & Grill, Hazyview – Mpumalanga
· Sanook, East London – Eastern Cape
· Texas Grill, George – Southern Cape
· The Bull Run, Sandton, Johannesburg (North) – Gauteng
· The Cricketer, East London – Eastern Cape
· The Godfather, Centurion, Pretoria – Gauteng – Runner-up in 2014
· The Grumpy Griller, George – Southern Cape
· The Local Grill, Parktown North, Johannesburg (North)- Gauteng – Champion in 2013 and 2014
· The Local Grill, Woodstock – Western Cape
· Theo’s, Mouille Point – Western Cape – Finalist in 2014
The ultimate steakhouse winner will be announced in late June 2015-and to the winner the bragging rights of being South Africa’s Best Steakhouse for 2015!
How The Wolftrap Steakhouse Championships Works:
The public votes for their favourite steakhouses are gathered during April and May 2015. All voting takes place on the website www.steakhunter.co.za and by SMS.
Announcement of Finalists:
At the end of May 2015, the top 20 as voted for by the public, go into the judges’ round.
Finals – The Steak-Off:
In June 2015, the Final 20 are visited by the judges. During the Steak-Off, the judges will assess the performance of the steakhouse.
Announcement of Steakhouse Champion:
On 30th June 2015, the grand winner of the Steakhouse Championship 2015 will be announced at a media event held at last year’s winner, The Local Grill in Parktown North.
Head judge is Pete Goffe-Wood, assisted by regional experts.