There’s a cognac for every occasion. For the game-changers amplifying their artistry. For the friends celebrating each other’s success. For the boundary-breakers who Never Stop. Never Settle. For the individuals who seek something special. This World Cognac Day (4 June), revel in the craft of cognac and find your drink of choice to toast to the extraordinary. It’s the versatility of the spirit that makes it unique. Its complexity makes it irreplaceable.
Lauded for its taste and traditions, Cognac hails from designated grape growing regions in Cognac, France. First mentioned in 1617, it’s a spirit with history, made with mastery. The art of the eaux-de-vie takes years to acquire. As one of the original cognac maisons, Hennessy has a 256-year-old legacy of perfecting this craft. Hence, cognac deserves its own day; a day when you enjoy your favourite spirit just the way you like it.
Founded in 1765 by Richard Hennessy, the House of Hennessy has now passed through the expert hands of eight successive generations, in partnership with the Fillioux family as Master Blenders. Chasing perfection, Hennessy pioneered the category, creating the classifications used today, Very Special (V.S), V.S.O.P (Very Superior Old Pale) and X.O (Extra Old). Now’s your moment to pick the classification best suited to your tastes.
FIND YOUR COGNAC PERFECT MATCH
Khomotso Ledwaba, Brand Manager of Hennessy SA, says, “This World Cognac Day, why not find your perfect match? For the trailblazers with a love of urban culture – the energy and artistry of a melting pot of people in a vibrant city space – there’s Hennessy Very Special. Hennessy has become synonymous with hip hop culture around the world. Ever since first being uttered on a verse, Hennessy has featured in over 2500 songs and has made an indelible mark on the genre. To date, it’s the most mentioned spirit not just in hip hop but in the broader music industry.
“As part of this long association with urban culture, over the last decade we’ve collaborated with ten of the world’s best street artists for our Ltd Edition series. 2020 was extra special as we partnered with Faith XLVII – the first South African and female artist we’ve worked with. The result of the partnership was a one-of-a-kind bottle that explored the alchemy of the artistic process.” In April this year, Faith XLVII returned to SA to complete the trilogy of Hennessy Murals, following artworks by Shepard Fairy in 2014 and Vhils in 2018.
If you’re feeling like royalty then Ledwaba says Hennessy V.S.O.P Privilège may be the one for you. Created on the request of a future king, the cognac is a Very Superior Old Pale indeed – smooth, rounded and finely balanced, expressing 200 years of Hennessy’s know-how. Perfect for an after-work drink on ice or enjoyed in a cocktail.
Finally, if you’re seeking to celebrate a special moment with your inner circle, consider Hennessy X.O. The original X.O was created as a blend reserved for the closest friends and family of Hennessy to enjoy at the Maison in France. As a result, it is a perfect option to toast business and personal success or to be given as a celebratory gift. Having recently turned 150 years old, Hennessy X.O is a true treasure.
“This World Cognac Day, give yourself leave to play. There are no rules when it comes to cognac; Hennessy is just as enjoyable served neat, on the rocks, in a cocktail or with a mixer such as tonic and remember that you don’t need a special glass either, any glass will do so long as it contains cognac this World Cognac Day,” concludes Ledwaba.
7 Unexpected ways to enjoy Hennessy this World Cognac Day:
- Hennessy might be made with strict rules, but there is just one rule when it comes to drinking it: drink it any way you want. Here, Ledwaba shares some of his favourites:
- Dark chocolate: Try pairing your cognac, especially with the fruitier notes of a V.S.O.P or X.O, with dark chocolate. Add Hennessy to your chocolate fondant or a cup of hot chocolate
- Beef fillet with creamy mushroom sauce: Hennessy pairs perfectly with buttery mushroom sauce
- Ginger: The spice of the ginger ale brings out the natural spice of Hennessy V.S
- Coffee: Coffee and cognac go together beautifully, add a twist by pouring equal measures over ice cream for a Hennessy Affogato
- Citrus: A burnt citrus dessert gives off the ideal citrus notes, perfect for pairing
- Duck: The dark, rich, and fatty notes of duck, particularly Asian spiced duck, will be heightened by Hennessy V.S.O.P. The sweet and sour profile is rounded out by the maturity of a well-aged cognac
- Honey Glazed Pork belly and Hennessy VSOP will make a Sunday roast something special