In 2021, the Basha Uhuru Creative Uprising is back, and excited to once again be fired up by long term partner Nando’s. The Basha Uhuru Creative Uprising main festival from 28-30 October 2021 brings the hottest art, music, film, design, dance, theatre, poetry, a makers market and conference sessions to one of Johannesburg’s most iconic landmarks Constitution Hill. Participants will enjoy a three-day programme that will also be streamed live – showcasing, celebrating and nurturing creative talent.
Highlights this year include music from Langa Mavuso, Sun El Musician, Ms Party, MX Blouse, SIO, Marcus Harvey, Easy Freek, Fif_Laaa, Thandonje and more at the music festival on the 30th of October. Tickets are R100 from Webtickets.
The Basha Uhuru Festival has been recognised as one of the top festivals in Mzansi. In 2020 the festival had to be reimagined in the face of the Covid-19 pandemic. 2020 saw the birth of the first Basha Uhuru Creative Uprising Festival, allowing the event to be held in a hybrid format accommodating a small physical audience and full live streaming to virtual audiences globally.
“The Creative Uprising has been scaled to support our creative community most affected by the current COVID-19 crisis, and has grown into an always-on programme, not just the three-day festival,” says Constitution Hill CEO – Dawn Robertson.
Due to Covid lockdown levels Basha Uhuru is taking place in October this year and not June (National Youth Month), as has been tradition. Happening from 28 to 30 October and hosted at the iconic Human Rights Precinct and Heritage Site, this year’s event also includes a month of lead-up events. Lead up events showcase the creative SME’s who have been allocated working studios at Constitution Hill’s Transwerke building allowing for them to continue to grow their business using a barter system and reduced or no rentals for their workspaces.
“Investment in the creative economy is essential in advancing our GGT2030 Agenda, particularly in its ambition to promote decent work and build an inclusive society in which the fundamental freedoms of all citizens are protected. Constitution Hill has reinvented itself as a creative industries aggregator focused on youth self-employment. The Creative Uprising Hub and Basha Uhuru Festival are integral to achieving this goal.” says Parks Tau, MEC Economic Development in Gauteng.
“Creativity is the heart and soul of the Nando’s brand and business philosophy, which is why we’re excited to once again be bringing the heat to Johannesburg’s favourite creative event,” says Kirsty Niehaus, who heads up the Nando’s Art Initiative. “We’re excited to fire up Mzansi’s up-and-coming new art, design and music talent, and to nurture and showcase local creativity. The lead-up events for the festival have been on the go since September 2021 with a number of hybrid events.
The format of the main events will be similar, with limited tickets for in-person attendance and will be streamed on all Constitution Hill platforms. 500 tickets will be up for grabs for the physical attendance at the Music Festival on the 30th of October.
Basha Uhuru Creative Uprising Highlights Include:
· Music: Sounds from Langa Mavuso, Sun El Musician, SIO, Ms Party, Fif_Laaa, MX Blouse, Thandonje, Easy Freek, Marcus Harvey, Kitchenmess, DJ Linda Van Skosana, DJ Mr X, Bonga Kwana, and the talented winners of the Nando’s music talent search, Nandocas Uhuru.
· Visual arts: An art showcase by the Nando’s Creative Exchange artists, mosaic workshops, panel discussions and art and design collaborations.
· Design: The Right Here, Right Now! exhibition will be on display, plus the opportunity to meet and learn from some of the people behind it, including Nando’s Design Programme Creative Director Tracy Lynch and the 2020 Nando’s Hot Young Designer winner and finalists.
Evening Programs – 28th and 29th October 18h00 – 22h00
A jam-packed lineup of performing arts bringing new talent to the stage:
· Performing arts: the World of Words poetry performances, theatre with Creativity in Jozi! with Market Theatre Laboratory, and Gister Moaba by Vuyani Dance Theatre.
· Film: Film screenings and Q&A with Film and Vinyl Club include a series of locally made short films such as Date Night and Beauty in The Dark.
Conference highlights include:
28th October 2021 –
· Creative Conference fired up by Nando’s: a full day of creative immersion of panel discussions, workshops and the Nando’s emerging talent showcase – Plus, music and design workshops, panel discussions, and more!
End the day with an exclusive tour of Constitution Hill’s Creative Hub, including Flames Studios, Truth to Power Lounge and Transwerke Creative Artist’s studios.
29th October 2021 –
· Eco-System Rising! 2021: This summit builds on existing strategies which locate and share the intersection of the Creative and Cultural Industry and the economic development it presents. Local and international speakers, many from the continent, will present current Creative Eco-System case studies that contribute to growth opportunities and livelihoods of creatives entrepreneurs and the value chains they engage. The Conference will also share the opportunities that the Creative Uprising Hub at Constitution Hill has already generated and the eco-system it aims to build; to be at the forefront of Creative Hubs in South Africa.
· 30th October 2021 –
For the third and final Basha Uhuru Creative Uprising Conference, Constitution Hill in association with IKS Cultural Consulting will present the draft Gauteng Cultural and Creative Industries Growth Strategy 2022- 2031.
The Maker’s Market on 30 October will bring together a range of creatives who will have an opportunity to share their products and brands with the public. The market will include food stalls and a family area managed by cutting edge developmental play experts from Play Africa. A great day out for friends and family! Safe and secure parking is available on site and those wanting to apply for a vendor’s stand.
The Music Festival on 30th October celebrates the musical talent of some of the country’s best new artists headlined by Langa Mavuso. The concert promises to deliver a jam-packed line of DJ’s and performers in an outdoor event with safety as the top priority. Check out the lineup here (weblink) Tickets are limited so grab yours now at webtickets.